Under the new EU Timber Regulation, placing illegally harvested timber and products derived from such timber on the EU market is prohibited. The EUTR applies to wood and wood products being placed for the first time on the EU market. It counters the trade in illegally harvested timber and timber products by imposing three key obligations:
- Placing illegally harvested timber and products derived from such timber on the EU market for the first time, is prohibited.
- EU operators – those who place timber products on the EU market for the first time – are required to exercise "due diligence".
- Traders – those who buy or sell timber and timber products already on the market – are required to keep information about their suppliers and customers to make timber easily traceable.
- EU Parliament and EU Council
- Date / journal vol no.
- Signed: 20 December 2005 Entered into Force: 30 December 2005