The African Union and the European Union work in partnership on a range of important issues referred in the 2nd Action Plan (JAES) adopted at the 3rd Africa EU Summit, on 29-30 November 2010, in Tripoli, Libya.
The four main objectives of the JAES are:
1. improving the Africa-EU political partnership
- peace, security, democratic governance and human rights
- basic freedoms, gender equality
- sustainable economic development, including industrialisation
- regional and continental integration
- ensuring that all the Millennium Development Goals are met in all African countries by 2015
3. effective multilateralism
4. a people-centred partnership.